Sunday, October 25, 2009

One Month-iversary!

El tiempo vuela. I learned the other day that they say "time flies" in Spanish as well. I guess we both feel the sense of surprise at how quickly the days and hours seem to pass us by. Exactly one month ago today I landed in Oviedo, all my life packed into two overstuffed suitcases. It's boggling to imagine all that has happened since. And, all that hasn't.

After a month, I feel relatively settled in here. It's so nice to have a sense of structure and predictability to my life again. Thinking back, it was unbelievable stressful and exhausting not knowing even the simplest things, like when to eat, when to sleep, etc. The Spanish schedule is very different. After class I have lunch, around 3. Dinner is unbelievably late here, at least 10 pm. More than once we've dined as late as midnight, even! You can imagine, this takes some getting used to. But once I fill in the day with school, teaching English, studying, reading, and throw in a little snacking (which has the very fancy name of
merienda), it isn't so bad.

And about the food. Unlike many a homesick Brit, I really enjoy the food here. There's good and bad, of course. I just refuse to eat my cornflakes in microwaved milk, I prefer no duck to duck à la tiny bone shards, and knowing that callos means cow stomach, I plan on politely refusing that particular delicacy from now on. Nonetheless, I have probably never tasted such delicious fish, olive oil, or yogurt. And how on earth does a tortilla española, which contains just eggs, potato, and onion, taste so darn good?? Once they added in some roasted bell pepper, I was hooked. Also, last week I tasted 5J (aka 5 star) Jamón Ibérico. It's like 5 bucks for one paper thin slice!

What I have yet to figure out, however, is the University. I can get to my classes, and understand the lectures fine, but the system as a whole is just very perplexing. For some mysterious reason, I must give every professor a card with all my personal information and picture. I honestly can't say how many people in this country now have a wallet-sized photo of me. Most of them different pictures too. And the process of registering in classes is a Grade A bureaucratic mess. I have to get signatures from everyone and their dog, sign in duplicate, stamp, countersign, seal it in my own blood, and turn it in between the hours of 10 and 1 Monday through Thursday. Suffice it to say, one month later, I'm still not registered. Which I'd really like to be, so I can get a student card (which requires another separate photo p.s.), so I can check out books and go to the gym. Is that so much to ask?

Another peculiarity is the very laid-back approach they have towards the actual education. The professors are on average 15 minutes tardy to class, resulting in the very skewompus situation of us waiting for them. What's more, some have already canceled as many as three classes! And the Spanish students always seem to know when not to show up; the other exchange students and I are left waiting until we deduce that we've somehow missed the memo.

Don't get me wrong, though. I love the fact that skipping two days of class will have zero impact on my final grade. Well, maybe not zero, but minimal. And in compensation for their sluggish bureaucracy, they're extremely willing to forgive and forget due dates or deadlines. I still have a few things to figure out, like books and tests, but overall I'm adjusting.

After a month, I've also gotten much more settled in socially. I have a few budding friendships, and keep myself entertained with the plethora of social opportunities available in Spain. The other exchange students, being in the same position as me, are exceptionally friendly and outgoing, and we even went kayaking together this past Saturday. I've got some really nice Spanish friends I see now and again as well. I don't expect I'll ever find the quality or quantity of great friends I had in Utah, but the people I've met are thus far very "good eggs," so to speak.

Until next week! Or, no, next week I'll be in Portugal! First time being in a country whose language I don't speak (not counting Texas haha)--wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. After reading all your posts you have authored thus far, I think the greatest struggle for me would be adjusting to the different "norms"...I cannot fathom having professors show up late for class all the time, (not that it's a bad thing :D) it's just so different!
    Anyway, keep eating that delicious Spanish yogurt! Mmm...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this one. It's crazy how much adapting one can do in such a short period of time. I've been in Taipei for a few days shy of 2 months, and can't believe it. I hope you had tons of fun in Portugal~!

    ReplyDelete