Sunday, November 15, 2009

School Hasn't Gotten in the Way of My Education


This week has been just chock full of wonderful conversations. I feel like that's about all I did, really. As it turns out, my four classes are a very light load. And now that my intensive Spanish class has ended, I have a good deal more free time than I expected; more than I have ever had in college. What better way to spend my time than in conversation, right?

Conversation of all different types: in English with my teeny-bopper students, in Spanish with German/French/Hungarian/Polish/Italian classmates, in English with some wonderful British and Irish friends, and, of course, in Spanish with Spaniards! whew. This latter type is especially valuable, and henceforth will be getting an added boost thanks to my participation in a language "Tándem"--basically, we switch languages for mutual benefit. For all the hours I spend in class, I learn more Spanish in 15 minutes of conversation with a patient Spaniard than any amount of lecture could impart. Thankfully, as far as patience is concerned, my host family and tándem are saints.

It's all the little things involved in everyday conversation that have always eluded me: "well," "you know," "if only," "you're kidding!" "wow," and "you can say that again", to name a few. The words that take the least amount of thought and energy in English are a constant struggle here. I liken my current stage of language ability to a robot. I can express most any thought, idea, or question I'd care to, and people get the idea, but it's nearly always the most inelegant, unnatural, and mechanical kind of Spanish (cue R2-D2 noises and/or corny robotic dance moves).

Although I have resigned myself to the fact that I will never speak native-like, every day I pick up more and more of those little things that make a language human. "O sea," "pero bueno," "¿a que sí?" and "a lo mejor" are my latest gems, FYI. It is also some consolation that at least I'm not the worst off. My fellow Americans: you have a reputation for completely sucking at languages. Please sort it, pronto, so I don't have to go through life being "the exception to the rule" in this area as well. (¡Much more on Americans' reputations coming soon!)

~~~

Today, as most Sundays are and should be, has been a very tranquil, restful day. I did go to a cultural festival of sorts a few hours ago. I believe it was called "Amagüestu."

It was held on Calle Gascona, "The Boulevard of Cider." And there was plenty of Cider to go around. There were free cups of the sweet (a.k.a. not alcoholic) kind which I really enjoyed.

They were even making the cider on the spot, there in the street. Here are two adorable children mashing up apples.

This is their supposed (grand?)father pressing the apples into juice!

There were also chestnuts, roasting over an open fire. They were quite tasty, but after like 5 I was handing 'em out to old men like they were Necco wafers.

Finally, my personal favorite, Hello Kitty and Spongebob Squarepants enjoying the lilting melodies of a bagpipe band. in Spain. How great is this photo??

Until next week. Stay classy, assorted online readers.

4 comments:

  1. I love the apple mashing children! What a fun idea! Do you find yourself thinking in Spanish or English?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of funny because I actually realized I do think in Spanish sometimes. But only very simple ideas, and not for extended periods. If I'm feeling especially ambitious somedays I'll try and think a whole chain of thoughts in Spanish--but I always forget what I thought! Guess I have a bad Spanish memory.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete