Sunday, May 23, 2010

Special Guests!

Yes, it has been over a month now since I wrote anything. Once again, I have been far too busy. and lazy. But now my classes are over and I have no more excuses.

That's right, my classes have ended. And not just for the year. Last Wednesday I had the last class of my entire undergraduate career. The professor made sure to go out with a bang, lecturing on how to use quotation marks while I doodled in my notebook. After 45 mind-numbing minutes, I picked up my bag, said my goodbyes, and walked out of the classroom. FOREVER.

Well, I suppose that is a bit melodramatic. I still have four exams, and besides, I'm quite certain I will be heading to grad school within the next two years, so in my mind it's really more the beginning of a very long summer break. Fifteen
months of summer if all goes according to plan. You see, I'm currently applying for jobs teaching English in Taiwan, the tropical island nation also known as the Republic of China. I would most likely work there for the length of an academic year. So with a Utah summer on either end of that experience, I'm looking at a very warm future! I'll be sure to keep you updated as this venture unfolds.


But now, without further ado, I proudly present the photo journal of May 2010.

Mom and Dad came to visit me! Here we are in front of the Roman bridge in Cangas de Onis


Mom and Dad in front of the church at Covadonga

The lakes of Covadonga

We spent one night in a small town near Llanes at a beachfront hotel.

The coast of Northern Spain

One of many beautiful beaches on our extensive beach tour

haha

Lastres vista

Lastres harbor

pre-Romanesque church in Oviedo

View from Mt. Naranco of Oviedo (and Jaime and Mom)

Statue of Christ on top of Mt. Naranco

Gijón

La Laboral Arts center and part of the University campus

View from that tower of La Laboral

One afternoon we went on a hike near the village of Proaza

We also managed a day-trip to León

Overall, it was a great week. It was a priceless experience to show my parents what my life over the past 9 months has been like. They met my friends, my roommate, saw the university campus, tried the local cuisine, and really experienced this part of the world as I know it. Now whenever I reminisce about this year, I've got someone who can corroborate, temper, and share my judgments and memories with.

2 comments:

  1. Tyler, good news about the possibility of Taiwan in your future. I've been in Taichung, Taiwan for almost 6-months now and have really enjoyed myself. It's a great place with lots of English-teaching opportunities and sightseeing, people-navigating, etc. Let me know how the process goes and if you need any help navigating. Keep the peeps updated. Best,

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are amazing pictures Tyler! The colors are so vivid and the views are incredible. And all of those beautiful buildings! I'm so glad that your parents could come get a taste of some of the many things you have known and loved during your time there. Like you said - a priceless experience!

    ReplyDelete